Vibramycin / Doxycycline Precautions
BRAND : Vibramycin
COMPOSITION : Doxycycline
Vibramycin (Doxycycline) is also known by various brand names including Vibra-tabs, Vibramycin Calcium Syrup, Vibramycin Hyclate, Doryx, Monodox, Vibramycin Monohydrate etc. It forms part of the Tetracycline antibiotic drugs. It is used as medication against bacterial diseases (though it is not effective against regular viral infections.)
When any medication is prescribed by Physician, it means that benefits (in this case Vibramycin benefits) outweigh the risks associated with the medication for that specific user. Also being approved by FDA it means that the medication is found safe in general population when taken strictly as per Physician instructions. Yet it is imperative that users are aware of the precautions associated with doxycycline usage before they purchase Vibramycin.
Following are important points users should remember before they buy Vibramycin:
- Allergies related to doxycycline/tetracycline or other Vibramycin constituents should be discussed with Physician before use. Refer to Vibramycin packaging or discuss with Pharmacist/doctor if there is any uncertainty about any ingredients
- Use of all ongoing medication esp. antacids, blood thinning drugs, vitamins, oral contraceptives should be discussed with Physician before starting Vibramycin use.
- Being an antibiotic drug, it could possibly result in development of non-susceptible organisms like fungi. User should look out for such growths.
- Intracranial hypertension is a possibility.
- Use of medications with calcium, iron and magnesium as well as Antacids react with doxycycline
- Vibramycin is taken an hour before or 2 hours after Antacids and medications containing calcium and magnesium are taken.
- Similarly it should be taken 2 hours before or 3 hours after taking iron containing supplements or medications.
- User with Diabetes, kidney or liver related problems are not advised Vibramycin use.
- Doxycycline should also be avoided by expecting ladies, breast-feeding mothers or patients planning family.
- Users undergoing surgical procedures specifically dental surgeries should discuss doxycycline use with dentist/doctor.
- Doxycycline makes skin photosensitive and hence direct sunlight should be avoided or use of proper clothing, sunscreen etc should be considered if moving out in direct light cannot be avoided.
- Although Vibramycin is used as a prophylactic against Malaria should take additional precaution against mosquito bites. Use as Malaria prophylactic should be started 1 – 2 days before commencing journey to a Malaria endemic region. It should be used throughout the stay in that region and should be continue until at least 4 weeks of return from an endemic region and ultimately stopped after Physician consultation. Generally Vibramycin use should not exceed beyond 4 months.
- Vibramycin can cause permanent teeth discoloring in children aged below 8 years and its use should be avoided in children unless used in Anthrax inhalation poisoning and specifically under doctor’s guidance.
- Generally Vibramycin is advised for 1 – 2 tablet doses a day with a glass of water. In case of diarrhea due to Vibramycin use, Physician may suggest it to be taken with food or milk.
- User should take exact amount prescribed by Physician as the dosage may vary with affliction. Do not break, share or stop medication without Physician consultations.
Vibramycin (doxycycline) Dosage should not be increased to compensate for missed doses. The dose should be taken as soon as user realizes that the dose has been missed (unless there is very less time between the next dose, in which case just take one dose).
Immediately inform the doctor / local poison control center (1-800-222-1222 for US patients) in case of Vibramycin (doxycycline) overdose emergency. Dial 911 if the patient falls unconscious, stops breathing or seems to have other serious problems.
Users can also get more information when users purchase Vibramycin (doxycycline) from local drugstore or online pharmacy. Emed Outlet is a genuine online pharmacy providing excellent information on Vibramycin (doxycycline) Precautions and for purchasing genuine Vibramycin (doxycycline).